Skip Navigation

Financial Aid FAQs

How does being undocumented affect state and federal financial aid?

Undocumented students ARE NOT eligible and DO NOT qualify for State of Illinois and federal financial aid.

“DREAMers,” who have been granted temporary protection from deportation under the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program, also do not qualify.

Are DACA students eligible for non-government financial aid?

Under DACA, students are issued a Social Security Number for work and related purposes and can fill out the FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to access institutional aid at some colleges and universities. At College of Lake County, this kind of institutional aid is available in the form of Foundation Scholarships (Scroll down and read “CLC Scholarships and Undocumented Students”). While DACA students can fill out a FAFSA, the College of Lake County does not require or recommend this practice. Instead, DACA students are encouraged to fill out the Application for Financial Aid Consideration form (PDF).

If you are undocumented without a Social Security Number, do not fill out the FAFSA.

DISCLAIMER: The information and materials presented on this site are general and informational only and do not constitute legal advice. Immigration questions should be directed to a licensed immigration attorney. Campus and legal information provided on this site is subject to change at any time. Updates will be provided when possible, but faculty, staff and students should continue to update and educate themselves concerning the topics covered within.