The federal Workforce Investment Act (W.I.A.) offers a comprehensive range of workforce development activities through statewide and local organizations.
Who can benefit from W.I.A.?
CLC offers programs that are certified to provide education and training to adults and dislocated workers who have been awarded vouchers under W.I.A., these may include:
- Job Seekers
- Laid-off Workers
- Incumbent Workers
- New Entrants to the Workforce
- Persons with Disabilities
To find out if you are eligible for a W.I.A. voucher, follow these steps:
- Attend an information session at either the Grayslake or Waukegan Job Center. See the Information Sessions flier on the Lake County Job Center Publications webpage for info session dates.
- Meet with a case manager at the Job Center of Lake County to determine your eligibility.
- Decide which W.I.A. approved program you would like to pursue.
- Contact Counseling Services and meet with a CLC counselor.
- Please be sure to mention that you are being referred from a Workforce or Job Center for job retraining and hope to use job retraining funds such as WIA or TAA. They will then help you answer any questions and will fill out your student letter of intent form.
- Take the completed copy of your student letter of intent form to your case manager.
For more information, or to learn if you qualify, contact the Job Center of Lake County.
The Purpose of W.I.A.
The purpose of these activities is to promote an increase in the employment, job retention, earnings, and occupational skills improvement by participants. This, in turn, improves the quality of the workforce, reduces welfare dependency, and improves the productivity and competitiveness of the nation.