Navigation for Engineering Transfer Guide:

Contact Info

Rob Twardock T113 (847) 543-2903
Constance McIlnay T105 (847) 543-2482
Ana Mazilu A233 (847) 543-2490
David Boyke
A233 (847) 543-2911
EMPS Office T102 (847) 543-2044
Admissions B101 (847) 543-2061
Counseling C110 (847) 543-2060
Financial Aid B114 (847) 543-2062

How to Register

  • Visit Admissions Office
  • Register online
  • Call 1-847-COLLEGE

Key CLC Websites

Key Advising Websites

Engineering School Websites


The Associate in Engineering Science

The engineering transfer curriculum at CLC is a two-year program which provides the prospective engineering student with the educational background required for continued engineering study toward a bachelor of science in engineering at a four-year college or university. The program parallels the first two years of engineering programs at most universities accredited by the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Since minor differences in course requirements exist at different universities and in different engineering disciplines within the same university, students are strongly advised to meet with a faculty advisor from the engineering department and consult the college catalog and an engineering advisor at their intended transfer institution. The course selections indicated in the program requirements are recommended for most efficient transfer to a university with junior standing. However, some variation in course selection may be advisable, depending on the intended engineering discipline and on transfer institution requirements.

Is Engineering for You?

  • Do you get good grades in science and math?
  • Do you enjoy knowing how things work?
  • Do you ever think of new of better ways to do things?
  • Do you enjoy solving problems?
  • Are you willing to work hard in school?

If you answered, "yes" to most of these questions, engineering may be a good career for you. You can learn more at the ASEE pre-engineering website.

Our Approach to Education

At CLC, our faculty members are focused on your learning needs. Although many of them publish in their disciplines, their emphasis is on teaching not research. That means that your instructors will be caring, supportive and dedicated to helping you prepare to continue your studies toward a bachelor's degree.

You will receive a very affordable education that includes a concentration in engineering courses along with general education courses that enhance creative and critical thinking. And throughout your studies, you will have access to faculty advisors and counselors who will help you identify your goals, plan your courses and succeed in meeting your goals. You will be challenged and you will receive the support and encouragement you need.

How to Get Started at CLC

  • Fill out an application. You may apply online at or by filling out a printed application (included in the CLC schedule of classes or catalog). Mail the application to the College of Lake County Admission and Records Office at 19351 W. Washington St. , Grayslake , IL , 60030 or fax it to (847) 543-3061.
  • Meet the prerequisites for the courses you wish to take. Most CLC courses have basic skills prerequisites in English language or math, and many courses in such areas as math, chemistry and computer information systems require passing a placement test. You can satisfy the basic skills requirements in several ways—evaluation of ACT or SAT scores, a high school transcript, GED or TOEFL scores, previous college work or by taking CLC's academic proficiency test. For information, call 847-543-2076.
  • Meet with a counselor to help you plan your educational program.
  • Attend a New Student Orientation (highly encouraged if you are pursuing a degree or certificate. Call (847) 543-2090.
  • Register for classes. (847) 223-1111 or
  • Pay tuition and fees.

Engineering Transfer Coursework

First Semester
Subject Course Name Credit Hours
MTH 145 Calculus and Analytic Geometry I 5
CHM 121 General Chemistry I 5
EGR 121 Engineering Graphics 3
ENG 121 English Composition I 3
Second Semester
Subject Course Name Credit Hours
MTH 146 Calculus and Analytic Geometry II 4
CHM 123 General Chemistry II 5
ENG 122 English Composition II or  
ENG 126 Advanced Composition 3
PHY 123 Physics for Science and Engineering 5
Third Semester
Subject Course Name Credit Hours
MCS 140 Computer Programming I 3
PHY 124 Physics for Science and Engineering II 5
  Humanities & Fine Arts Elective 3
MTH 227 Differential Equations 3
  Elective per transfer institution requirement 3
Fourth Semester
Subject Course Name Credit Hours
MTH 246 Calculus and Analytical Geometry III 4
  Social & Behavioral Sciences Elective 3
EGR 260 Introduction to Circuit Analysis 4
EGR 221 Statics and Dynamics 5
Summer Sessions (if necessary to transfer)
Subject Course Name Credit Hours
EGR 222 Engineering Mechanics of Materials 3
PHY 221 Physics for Science and Engineering 4

In addition, to receive the AES degree, one international education course must be completed as listed in the CLC catalog.

Above schedule assumes sufficient enrollment.

How to Learn More

Contact Rob Twardock, coordinator of engineering, at (847) 543-2903, or e-mail him at . Additional information also is available at our engineering website


Updated 9/06

  • What courses should I take at CLC?
    You can take most of the first two years of an engineering degree at CLC. Look at the Engineering Transfer curriculum in the CLC catalog as a starting point, and then consider the discipline you're interested in at the school you'd like to transfer to, and customize your curriculum for your needs. Make sure to consult the CLC catalog for a schedule of what courses are offered each semester (Fall, Spring, Summer). Not every engineering, math, or physics course is offered each semester, so plan accordingly.
  • Do I need the AES Degree to Transfer?
    You do not need a degree to transfer to a four-year school. Most schools will look at your individual courses to see what will transfer. You can get the AES if you'd like for job advancement, documentation of your success, etc. Make sure you meet the requirements of the discipline and school of your choice, as the AES curriculum might not match those exactly.
  • Where can I transfer?
    UI-Urbana, UI-Chicago, NIU, SIU-Carbondale and SIU-Edwardsville are the 5 public schools offering engineering degrees in Illinois . IIT, Northwestern, Bradley, and Olivet Nazarene are private schools with higher tuition with engineering programs. Purdue is in West Lafayette , Indiana . MSOE and Marquette are in Milwaukee , and other Big 10 schools all offer quality engineering schools. The University of Illinois in Urbana has the largest and best-known engineering program. UI-Chicago is close and allows the opportunity to live at home. IIT is the only program that offers full time night courses. A full list of accredited engineering program in Illinois can be found at . A list of engineering programs in the region can be found at The University Center of Lake County offers Masters of Science degree programs but not B.S. programs at this time.
  • How do I get started?
    First you need to apply to CLC, which you can do online, or by using the form in the catalog or schedule. After you have a student ID you may need to take placement tests in the LRC for math. If you do, be sure to pick up a study guide and look it over. You can take the test up to 2 times per semester. After you've taken the placement test, meet with an engineering advisor to discuss which courses to begin with.
  • Who are the engineering advisors?
    Rob Twardock (847-543-2903), Constance McIlnay (847-543-2482), David Boyke (847-543-2911), Ana Mazilu (847-543-2490)
  • Why is math so important?
    Most engineering courses have math as a prerequisite. The first math course in the engineering curriculum is MTH 145 – Calculus I. If you need to take some preparatory courses to get into MTH 145 it may delay your transfer. Be sure to focus on math by taking a math course each semester, and making sure you focus your time and energy on doing well.
  • What is the difference between Engineering Technology and Engineering Transfer?
    CLC offers several technology programs, including Mechanical Engineering Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering Technology, and Architectural Technology. These programs are A.A.S. programs intended to get students working in 2 years. They are very applied, practical in nature. They have different curriculums than engineering. If you are interested in an A.A.A. degree, but may consider pursuing an engineering degree later, make sure to maximize the number of transferable courses by taking transfer general education courses where possible. For example, take MTH 122 and 123 instead of MTH 117 and 118. Take ENG 121 and 122 instead of ENG 110. PSY 121 instead of PSY 110. Any course with a “2” as the middle digit is a transfer course. You should consult the transfer guide for the school you want to transfer to in order to select your curriculum. To find out more about the difference between engineering and engineering technology you can look at the ASEE website for pre-engineering.
  • What general education courses should I take?
    Consult the transfer guide for the school you want to transfer to in order to select your general education courses. Make sure the courses you choose have a “2” as the middle digit – e.g. ENG 121, PSY 121, SOC 121, etc. If you'd want an AES degree from CLC then you should make sure the courses you select meet the AES requirements as well. If haven't decided what school to transfer to try to select gen. ed. Courses that meet the requirements of both schools you're considering.
  • What engineering disciplines are available and how do I know which one to select?
    There are more than 10 engineering disciplines, but the main four are electrical & computer, mechanical, civil, and chemical. Not every school offers every discipline. Consult the ABET website or the schools website to find out more. The ASEE website has some very useful information on the various engineering disciplines, including links to professional societies like ASCE, ASME, IEEE. Go to the ASEE website at for more information. When considering a discipline to pursue, think about what you enjoy doing, and what you're good at doing. Finding a match of these will help you find a career that is rewarding and in which you are likely to succeed.
  • Is Financial Aid Available?
    There are a variety of financial aid packages available to qualified CLC students. The CLC Financial Aid (B114; 847-543-2062) office can provide more information along with applications and advisors to guide you through the process. Starting in Summer 2007 and for four years after that, CLC will be offering up to 25 full scholarships for academically talented, low-income engineering and computer science students. The scholarships will be offered through a grant from the National Science Foundation. For more information, or to apply, contact Rob Twardock at 847-543-2903 or the CLC Financial Aid Office.

Make this website talk with BrowseAloud.
College of Lake County, 19351 West Washington Street, Grayslake, IL 60030-1198    (847) 543-2000