Military/Veteran Students

Checklist for Military/Veteran Students

Step 1: Apply for Admission

This can be done online on the CLC website. Go to: Apply at CLC. If you need assistance with the Student Information Form or the enrollment process, please contact Enrollment Services at (847) 543-2090.

Step 2: Learn your CLC Student ID and create myLogin

When your application has been processed, you will receive your 7-digit CLC ID number in the mail (in about a week). Follow the steps to create myLogin. It is very important that you remember your username and password, and that you choose security questions with answers that you can remember. If you forget your username and password, or would like to change your password or security questions, contact the Help Desk.

Step 3: Apply for appropriate program (GI Bill [9/11, Montgomery, VRAP], IVG, ING, etc.), if applicable)

For the GI Bill fill out the application at or fill out Form 22-1990 and submit it to:

  • VA Regional Office
  • P.O. Box 66830
  • St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
For IVG:

Fill out form ISAC #F103 and submit to:

D-3A IVG Processing
1755 Lake Cook Road
Deerfield, IL 60015-5209

For ING:
Step 4: Meet the Coordinator of Veteran and Military Personnel

Ryan Frey can assist with a variety of issues. He has 20 years of military experience and understands what it is like to transition to civilian life after the military. Additionally, he went to college while on active duty and understands some of the difficulties in going to school while on active duty.

Step 5: Attend a New Student Orientation Advisement Session or an Adult Information Meeting

New Student Orientation is required for all recent high school graduates (graduated in last two years) entering CLC for the first time. Register for either session here:

NOTE: If your situation dictates, you may be referred to a counselor.

Step 6: Go to Financial Aid (Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

____ Turn in a copy of your DD-214 (Member four - OPTIONAL)
____ Turn in the signed Veterans Advisement Form
____ Complete the Veterans Benefit Information Form online through myStudentCenter
____ Turn in your Certificate of Eligibility from VA for GI Bill, or Letter from IVG

Step 7: Meet Proficiencies

Before you will be able to register for most college credit classes, you need to show that you are language proficient and basic algebra ready. The Admissions Office will accept one of the following documents to prove language proficiency and basic algebra readiness:

  • High School transcript showing class rank in top 1/3 after six semesters
  • ACT score report showing reading, language and math scores of 17 or above
  • SAT score report showing critical reading, writing and math scores of 450 or above
  • GED transcript showing 550 or above on reading, language and math
  • U.S. college transcript showing completion of an associate degree or higher
  • U.S. college transcript showing completion of 30 credits with no grade less than a C, (Satisfies Language Proficiency only) or completion of English composition with a C, or higher and a math course that is equivalent to CLC’s MTH 101 with a C, or higher
  • Take CLC’s Academic Proficiency Language Test (minimum score of 153) and Math Placement Test, arithmetic section (minimum score of 56).

If you want to take the proficiency examinations and are not in the immediate area, testing can be arranged by contacting the Testing Center at (847) 543-2875)

Step 8: Transfer Credit from Military Transcripts

Fill out a request for evaluation and return to the Admissions and Records Office: Send official Military transcripts (SMART/AARTS) and official transcripts from any other colleges attended to:

College of Lake County
Office of Admissions and Records
19351 W. Washington Street, room B101
Grayslake, IL 60030

Step 9: Meet with an Academic Advisor

Academic Advisors are available to help you get started at the college, interpret your assessment and placement test scores and determine appropriate initial course placements and selections. Contact the Counseling, Advising and Transfer Center to make arrangements to see an academic advisor, room C110, Grayslake Campus, (847) 543-2060. Note: Students who attend the Lakeshore or Southlake Campus locations may meet with a counselor on that campus.

Ensure that academic advisor completes Veterans Advisement Form that was given to you by Financial Aid.

Step 10: Complete Registration

When you are ready to select your classes, log into to myStudentCenter (located on our main website, in the center of the page). Select Enroll and Search for classes. You must specify the semester and then a subject (such as English) to view the classes available. All registration is completed online, from any computer. If you need assistance, you may come to the Admissions and Records Office, room B101 on the Grayslake Campus, the Student Services Office at the Lakeshore Campus in Waukegan, or the main office at the Campus in Vernon Hills. Admissions and Records is also available via phone from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday at (847) 543-2061.

***Please keep in mind that CLC has three campus locations — Grayslake, Waukegan, and Vernon Hills. Classes can also be attended online. Please check to see which location might be more convenient for you.

Step 11: Complete SOC agreement (if applicable)

The College of Lake County has been designated a Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) by the Department of Defense and the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges. SOC student agreements are available in many different curriculums offered at the college. CLC is committed to Great Lakes Naval Base personnel and their families. The college’s in-district admission policies apply to all service personnel, as well as to their families. For more information on applying for a SOC agreement, contact the Servicemembers Opportunity College Representative at the Great Lakes Naval Base Center at (847) 543-2971.

Step 12: Make an Appointment with OSD (if applicable)

The Office for Students with Disabilities serves as the entry point for many students and visitors with disabilities to the college. The goal of the Office for Students with Disabilities is to provide an educationally accessible college environment that insures an individual receives an equal opportunity to obtain college services, programs and courses regardless of their disability. For more information contact the Office for Students with Disabilities at (847) 543-2474, or go to the OSD website at

Step 13: Pay Tuition and Fees

To avoid being dropped from classes for non-payment, you must pay in full or enroll in the college’s installment tuition payment plan by your due date. You can access your finances through myStudentCenter, and selecting My Finances. However, if you are using veterans benefits (GI Bill/IVG/Tuition Assistance, etc.) a Do Not Drop indicator will be placed on your account (once your paperwork has been received by the Financial Aid Office). For more information about tuition payment, call (847) 543-2085. For more information about Financial Aid, call (847) 543-2062.

Step 14: Buy Textbooks and Materials for your classes

The bookstore is located on the lower level of B Wing, across from Lancers. You can obtain a book voucher from Financial Aid (if using an applicable benefit). You may purchase textbooks on line at for pickup or delivery.

Step 15: Understand procedures for withdrawal due to deployment (ACTIVE DUTY/RESERVIST ONLY)

The College of Lake County is committed to streamlining the withdrawal process for our veterans, military personnel and their spouses who have been deployed or called to active duty. Our goal is to facilitate a smooth transition for the student, so that they can focus on their deployment orders. In order to begin the process, students will need to complete a Withdrawal Request for Active Duty Deployment Form and follow the instructions on the form. This form is located

Students called to active military service during or after the fall 2005 semester may complete any unfinished courses at a later date at no additional charge, unless course credit has already been given, or a full refund was received upon withdrawing from the course. Students should contact the Business Office to complete a Student Receivable Account Adjustment Form in order to have the course charges waived.


Make this website talk with BrowseAloud.
College of Lake County, 19351 West Washington Street, Grayslake, IL 60030-1198    (847) 543-2000