Skip Navigation

Types of Federal Aid

The three most common types of aid are grants, loans and work-study, which all can be applied for on the FAFSA web site. Additionally, there are financial aid programs designed specifically for veterans.

CLC currently participates in the following federal programs:


This form of aid, which does not have to be repaid, is based on financial need. Grants cover such college costs as tuition, fees, books and supplies, room and board and living expenses. One popular federal grant is the Pell grant. In the 2012-13 school year, Pell grants range from $287-$5,550. Another grant, called the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) ranges from $100-$500.

Learn more

Work Study

This option allows you to earn money while enrolled to help pay your educational expenses. Students are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week in the Federal Work-Study program.

Information is posted in these locations.

  • The two bulletin boards across from the Financial Aid office at the Grayslake campus, Room B114.
  • In the Career Center at the Grayslake campus, Room E101.
  • Online at the Jobs for Students web page. For additional information on student employment, please contact the Student Employment Specialist at (847) 543-2408.

Learn more

Low-interest Loans

Federally funded aid also includes loans that must be repaid with interest.  For information on requesting a loan at CLC, follow these steps.

Learn more

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

CLC offers financial aid programs designed specifically for veterans of the armed forces. Information is available on the Military/Veterans Benefits page.

Learn more