Program of Study: Mathematics
Academic Division: Engineering, Math & Physical Sciences
Math Placement and Prerequisite Requirements:
What are the prerequisite requirements and how can I meet them?
The important thing to remember about placement and prerequisites is that the prerequisite for each course has been developed with the sole purpose of ensuring that students have the skills they need to be successful in the course they select. A student's placement into a math course may be determined using one or more methods and is related to how a student demonstrates that they meet a course's prerequisite requirements.
CLC has two types of requirements that affect enrollment in math courses.
1. Basic Algebra Readiness: Incoming students will need to demonstrate Basic Algebra Readiness before enrolling in certain courses at CLC. These courses may be in math or other science or technology-related fields. In the past, Basic Algebra Readiness was called Math Proficiency. Both terms mean that a student possesses a certain level of competency in arithmetic, which includes problem solving involving integers, fractions, ratios, decimals, and percents. See all of the different ways that a student may demonstrate Basic Algebra Readiness.
2. Prerequisites: Students must also demonstrate that they meet the mathematics prerequisite for the specific course they wish to take.
The best way to identify the prerequisite for a specific math course is to consult the college's current class schedule or the college catalog. Each course description includes the prerequisite requirements that apply. View the chart of mathematics courses and prerequisites. View course descriptions of mathematics courses.
Different ways that all or part of a prerequisite can be met
For many math courses, the prerequisite may be met all or in part by submitting a transcript to the EMPS Division Office from an accredited college with successful grades in certain courses or by obtaining successful scores on certain nationally accepted exams.
Previous college coursework may fulfill prerequisites for math courses.
Submit the prerequisite check form with your transcripts (official or unofficial) together via:
- Fax: (847) 543-3061
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Admissions, College of Lake County, 19351 W. Washington St., Grayslake, IL 60030
- Or in person: Room B101 at Grayslake Campus, College of Lake County, 19351 W. Washington St., Grayslake, IL 60030
Form and transcript MUST be submitted together via email, mail, fax, or in person. If not submitted together the request will not be processed.
- It is possible to earn college credits in mathematics through taking certain nationally accepted exams such as CLEP, DANTES, and Advanced Placement exams. Credits earned through this method can be used to meet all or part of a prerequisite for a CLC mathematics course. Download the credit by exam document for information regarding these exams and earning credits at CLC.