College Reading and Writing Readiness
Incoming students will be assessed for English language proficiency as demonstrated by meeting any one of the following:
- Confirmed top one-third rank in high school class upon graduation (or current top one- third high school rank after at least five semesters) based on unweighted GPA.
- Cumulative unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or better after at least five semesters (applies only to CLC courses taken after May 2018).
- American College Test (ACT), Reading: Score of 17 or above, and English: Score of 17 or above.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), Evidence- Based Reading and Writing Score of 470 or above (prior to March 1, 2016; Critical Reading Score of 450 or above; March 1, 2015 Verbal Score of 450 or above). In the absence of an SAT score, equivalent PSAT scores may be used within two years of the PSAT test date.
- Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) ELA III score of 5.
- General Educational Development (GED) 2014: CLC English Placement Test or ELI ACCUPLACER required. GED (prior to 2014) transcript, Reading and Writing Skills: Score of 550 or above. Score of 165 or above for test taken January 1, 2014 or later.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Computer-based test: Score of 197 or above, Paper-based test: Score of 527 or above, or Internet-based score of 71 or above.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Format: score of 6.0 or above.
- ELS Language Centers and ELS Educational Services, Academic Report: completing Level 112.
- Evidence of an associate or higher degree from a regionally accredited, degree-granting U.S. college or university.
- Transcript from a regionally accredited, degree-granting U.S. college or university listing at least 30 semester hours of credit with no grade below C.
- Transcript from a regionally accredited, degree-granting U.S. college or university listing credit earned to meet College Reading and Writing Readiness requirements.
- Successful completion of CLC ENG 108 with a grade of A or ENG 109 with a grade of C or higher, or ENG 121 and ENG 100 with a grade of C or higher in ENG 121. Please note, as of Spring 2020, ENG 109 will no longer be offered.
- Successful completion of CLC ELI 108 with a grade of A, or ELI 109 with a grade of C or higher.
Successful completion of both CLC ELI 103 AND 104 with a grade of A; or ELI 110 with a grade of C or higher.
Please refer to the CLC Catalog for details and the complete academic proficiency prerequisites policy.