Skip Navigation

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA)

The College of Lake County participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA), which allows students living outside of Illinois to access online courses, distance learning opportunities, and out-of-state learning experiences (such as clinical and practicum placements) offered by the college.

As part of its involvement in SARA, the college adheres to the requirements and expectations set by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and the U.S. Department of Education to ensure the protection of students who enroll in distance learning opportunities outside of their home state. You can learn more about NC-SARA’s service to students on the NC-SARA website.

Student Complaints under SARA

The College of Lake County strives to ensure all students have a positive educational experience. If you have an academic concern such as those related to class policies, grading, or quality of instruction, please complete the online CLC Academic Concerns Form through the myCLC portal. Find more information about the college’s procedure for addressing academic concerns and how to make a report. If you have a non-academic concern such as those related to service you received from a college department or police complaints, please visit the college’s general complaints page for more information. Additionally, students may contact the Illinois Community College Board if the college fails to resolve their complaint or grievance.

Out-of-state students enrolled in online courses or other distance learning opportunities at the college should attempt to resolve any issues or complaint regarding their experience according to the college’s internal processes mentioned above. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, out-of-state students may file a complaint through the SARA State Portal Entity (SPE) of their home state. NC-SARA maintains a list of the State Portal Entities of each state. Find additional information regarding the SARA student complaint process.

Professional Licensure Disclosures

The college offers several degree and certificate programs in fields that may require students to obtain professional licensure or certification in order to obtain employment. The fields that require licensure/certification as well as the specific standards to obtain licensure/certification may vary from state to state. While all of the college’s licensure/certification programs meet the standards and satisfy requirements within Illinois and Wisconsin, the college cannot guarantee that its programs meet the standards set by other states.

The following college programs satisfy the requirements for licensure within all 50 states:

  • Nursing
  • Medical Imaging
  • Magnetic Resonance Imaging
  • Computed Tomography

Outside of Illinois and Wisconsin, licensure requirements may vary by state for the following college programs:

  • Dental Hygiene
  • Emergency Medical Technician
  • Massage Therapy

The following college programs satisfy the requirements for certification within all 50 states (i.e., national certification):

  • Health Information Technology
  • Medical Assisting
  • Phlebotomy
  • Health & Wellness Coaching
  • Personal Training
  • Surgical Technology
  • Emergency Medical Technician (national certification; must apply to state for license)

While the college has done its best to identify which of its programs meet out-of-state licensure/certification requirements, there are cases where this information could not be determined. Students who plan to enroll in a program of study intending to obtain licensure/certification and/or seek employment in a state outside of Illinois or Wisconsin should contact the licensing agency in the state they plan to seek employment directly in order to verify that the college’s program meets that state’s licensing/certification standards and requirements before they enroll and begin their program at CLC.

NC-SARA maintains a Professional Licensure Directory, which provides contact information for licensing agencies across the country related to Counseling, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, and Teacher Education programs. This is a helpful resource for students researching state licensure requirements in other states.

Find links to the websites for licensing agencies in Illinois and Wisconsin.