Students entering English 121 should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Recognize that writing is a process which includes revision, has a rhetorical purpose, and is aimed at an audience.
- Demonstrate the ability to create first drafts of two or three pages and to organize and structure these drafts into essays which include an introduction section with thesis statement, body paragraphs which develop the thesis statement, and a conclusion section.
- Demonstrate the ability to write clearly and effectively in standardized English.
- Use editing strategies so that the meaning of completed drafts is understandable and any errors do not detract from meaning.
- Exhibit an understanding of the necessity of documentation when outside sources are used in the student's writing.
- Apply to college-level texts active reading strategies such as annotating, determining meanings of unknown vocabulary, summarizing, and paraphrasing.
- Locate the main idea(s) and supporting details in assigned texts of various lengths.
Skills for Collegiate Success
- Use basic keyboarding and word processing skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently.
- Exhibit college-level behaviors such as reading and interpreting a syllabus, managing time effectively, reading and following assignment instructions, and staying on task in small groups.