Skip Navigation

We Want Your Input

Help us improve our website

Help us create a better website experience with your feedback.

Take Our Website Survey

How to File a Police Complaint or Commendation

Through the year, members of the CLC Police Department handle a variety of calls and have numerous contacts with the public. In some of those instances, individuals may feel a member of the CLC Police Department treated them unfairly or were treated unprofessionally. If you feel this occurred, you may contact the CLC Police Department and ask to speak with the on-duty shift supervisor.

The supervisor will listen to your complaint and may attempt to resolve the complaint informally over the phone, or in person. We have found an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the call is enough to settle many situations. If the supervisor is unable to satisfy the caller or, at the recommendation of the supervisor, they may request you file a Formal Complaint.

A Formal Complaint is a written statement surrounding the facts of the incident, identifying any potential witnesses and is a sworn statement once filed and properly notarized. Under Illinois Law, a Formal Complaint must be supported by a Sworn Affidavit (50 ILCS 725/3.8(b)).

Anyone who knowingly files a false complaint against a police officer or other employee of the department may be subject to criminal charges or even possibly a civil suit.

There are several ways to file a complaint or a commendation report of a College of Lake County Police Department officer:

Download and Print a Complaint or Commendation Form

Step 1: Download and complete a printable Police Complaint or Commendation Form:

Step 2: Return your Police Complaint or Commendation Form by any of the following methods:

  • Mail your Police Complaint or Commendation Form to:
    College of Lake County Police Dept.
    Attn: Chief Henry
    19351 W. Washington St.
    Grayslake, IL 60030
  • Hand-deliver your Police Complaint or Commendation Form to the Police Department in Building E.

Report in Person

Report police misconduct in person at the Police Department in Building E.

Report by Telephone

Report police misconduct by calling (847) 543-2081 and ask for the on-duty supervisor.

What happens when a complaint is filed?

Once a complaint is filed, it will be forwarded to the Chief of Police who will then assign it for investigation. The Chief of Police will generate a letter to you, indicating the investigator assigned to the investigation and an Internal Affairs report number. Generally, an investigation takes no longer than 30 days; however, the investigator may be given an extension if the Chief of Police agrees it is justified. You will be kept informed of the status of your complaint and the eventual outcome.

If the complaint is found to be true (SUSTAINED), the department member may be disciplined at the discretion of the Chief of Police and Human Resources Department, up to and including termination of employment.

Adobe logo. Get Adobe Acrobat Reader.Get a free copy of Adobe Reader.