Skip Navigation

We Want Your Input

Help us improve our website

Help us create a better website experience with your feedback.

Take Our Website Survey

Transferring an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree

An Articulation Agreement is a partnership between the College of Lake County and a four-year college or university.  It represents a formal agreement that allows a student to apply credits earned in a specific program at CLC toward advanced standing, equal transfer, guaranteed admission and/or direct entry into a specific program at the four-year institution.  An Articulation Agreement can be used for transfer degrees (A.A. or  A.S.) or for Associate in Applied Science Degrees (A.A.S.).

Transfer guides are informal agreements between the College of Lake County and a four year college or university which provide recommended courses of study for CLC students.

View articulation agreements and transfer guides.

The transferability of the A.A.S. degrees and their respective courses is dependent upon a number of factors. Students interested in the transfer of A.A.S. degrees should review the facts below and take the following actions:


Fact #1

The programs in which students earn A.A.S. degrees are called career programs. The A.A.S. degrees were not designed for transfer to four-year schools. The College of Lake County awards other degrees for transfer purposes- Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Engineering Science (AES), Associate in Fine Arts (AFA). However, earning the A.A.S. degree does not necessarily preclude transfer to a four-year school.

Fact #2

The A.A.S. degree programs were created to provide specific skills and knowledge in a field so that students in that career area can either find a job or upgrade their current status in that specific career field when they leave CLC.

Fact #3

The career programs include two categories of courses. One category consists of courses with a PCS code of 1.1, e.g., ENG 121 - these courses were designed to transfer. The other category consists of courses with a PCS code of 1.2; some of these courses may transfer, and others may not. It is important to talk with a CLC student development counselor, CLC advisor, CLC faculty member, or a representative from the school to which you plan to transfer to discuss course acceptance.


Action #1

Meet with a CLC advisor, counselor, or faculty member as soon as possible when it comes to planning your course of study. You will be able to discuss your future career and transfer plans if you are undecided about a specific career and/or if you need help determining what type of associate or higher degree is appropriate for you chosen career path. Instructional faculty may also provide information to help you select an appropriate degree beyond the Associate in Applied Science Degree.

Action #2

If you are in your first year of studies and are currently undecided about an A.A. degree versus an A.A.S. degree, when it is possible take even-numbered middle digit courses to satisfy A.A.S. degree requirements (i.e., ACC 121 instead of ACC 112). Also, note that CMM 121 is the preferred course to meet an oral communication, general education requirement when considering transfer.

Additional Information

When you meet with your advisor, or faculty member, find out if the College of Lake County has a formal Articulation Agreement or transfer guide for your program with four-year schools which states the conditions under which an Associate degree or a specific program or courses will transfer. For example: which courses will transfer as major requirements, which as electives, which will not transfer at all, and which will satisfy prerequisites for courses at the four-year school.

If there is not a formal Articulation Agreement for your career program, there may be a transfer guide available that lists if an A.A.S. degree will be accepted or which CLC career courses will be accepted by various programs at various institutions.

View a complete list of CLC's current Transfer Guides.