Skip Navigation

Student Records Policies


Students are responsible for being officially registered in classes they attend. Registration must be completed before or during the term of enrollment (see late registration policy, below).

Students may register on line at myStudentCenter or in-person in the Welcome and One Stop Center on the Grayslake Campus, or the Student Services Office at the Lakeshore Campus in Waukegan, or the Southlake Educational Center in Vernon Hills. If you experience difficulty registering, or receive an 'error' message when registering, please call the Office of Student Records. We encourage all students to manage their enrollment activity directly, but will be happy to assist you if needed.

Late Registration

The College of Lake County strictly enforces its policy that students may not register for a class after it has begun. The policy states that the final day to enroll is midnight of the first day of each class. After that first day, late enrollment will only be allowed under extraordinary circumstances if approved by the dean of the division for the class. Students must request permission from the instructor of the class or contact the academic division. Students who are approved for late registration must meet all other enrollment requirements and prerequisites before their request will be approved. NO late registration will be allowed after the midterm date of the class.

Dropping or Withdrawal from a Class

Students who do not plan to complete an enrolled class are responsible for officially dropping the class online. The official deadlines for dropping or for withdrawing are defined individually for each class. Official deadlines can be found in your myStudentCenter course schedule or your course syllabus. Tuition and fee refunds will be issued to eligible students based upon the effective date of withdrawal, which is recorded in the system at the time the student drops the class. View withdrawal and refund information.

The college may administratively withdraw students who have never attended class, who stopped attending class without officially dropping or whose attendance is so sporadic that they would not be able to complete the course requirements. Students who are withdrawn by the institution will be assigned an appropriate withdrawal grade and remain responsible for all tuition and fees charged for the class. View withdrawal and refund information.

Students who never attend class or who stop attending class, but do not officially drop, remain responsible for all tuition and fees for the class. You may drop a class online or in the Office of Student Records. It is not sufficient to tell an instructor or counselor that you want to drop a class, you must complete the drop/withdrawal action yourself. View the college’s refund policy and options to appeal.

Withdrawal of Veterans and Military Personnel

Veterans and military personnel who are deployed (including training at U.S. or overseas locations) or called to active duty may withdraw anytime during the semester in which they are enrolled and called to active duty. The date of the official notice of orders for deployment will serve as the date of withdrawal, and the withdrawal request must be submitted to the college by the end of the semester in which the withdrawal occurs. If the effective date occurs after the 75 percent point between the start and end of the class, a grade of W will be recorded. This policy also applies to the spouses of veterans and military personnel. Visit Veteran Student Services for more information.

Reinstatement after Drop for Non-Payment

Students who do not pay (or make appropriate arrangements to pay) tuition and fees by their due date are subject to being dropped from all classes for non-payment. The dates for the 'Drop for Non-Payment' are publicized in the Schedule of Classes. The College will attempt to notify students who were dropped by this process, but it remains the responsibility of the student to check enrollment status if they fail to pay by the due date.

Students who are dropped by the process before the term starts are eligible to re-enroll in the same classes if seats are available. They must pay before the new due date assigned. Students may not attend classes if they are not officially enrolled.

Reinstatement after Voluntary Withdrawal

Students who voluntarily withdraw from classes and subsequently request to be re-enrolled must present compelling reasons for reinstatement. Consult the Office of Student Records for procedures.

Switching Sections After the Start of Class

Students who wish to change sections after the classes have started must contact the academic division of the course. If approved by the instructor and dean, the Office of Student Records will process the change. It is important that the student follow this procedure. Simply dropping one class section and then attending a different section without being officially enrolled will not guarantee the late enrollment will be approved.

Privacy Statement

College policy strictly limits the release of student information. For this reason, not all services are available via e-mail or by phone.

Change of Program of Study

Changes to your program of study can be made by filling out a Change of Program of Study (PDF) form and submitting it to the Office of Student Records. Any changes to your program of study should be planned with your counselor or advisor. If you are unsure of your program of study or degree objective, contact the Counseling Office for assistance. The deadlines for changing a program of study are: Fall -December 1; Spring - May 1; Summer - July 15. Any change request received after the deadline will take effect beginning with the start of the next academic term.


Students can request to graduate, and view their graduation status, in their Student Center (PDF). Requests should be submitted no later than: Spring - February 15; Summer - July 1; Fall - October 1. Student records will be reviewed for graduation eligibility during the term requested. Degrees and certificates are awarded approximately 1-2 weeks after the end of the term.

Overload Requests

The maximum number of credit hours a student in good standing may take is 18 hours in Fall/Spring or 10 in summer (including intersession). Under certain circumstances a student may receive permission to carry a heavier load. You must speak with a Counselor if you wish to take an overload.

Transfer of Credit

A student who has previously attended another college and who intends to earn a degree or certificate from the College of Lake County must have an official transcript from each college sent directly to the Office of Student Records and submit a Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit form. Students who have earned credit at non-regionally accredited institutions must complete the Appeal of Evaluation of College Transcript and follow the steps on the form.

Transfer evaluations are based on the student’s program of study indicated on the Evaluation form. Credit will be granted for acceptable work completed at other approved colleges and universities for courses in which a student has earned a grade of C or better. Credit will also be awarded for courses in which a D has been earned provided a student’s overall average is C or better for the credits transferred. Transfer credits accepted from other collegiate institutions will be entered on the student’s permanent record at the College of Lake County, but the grades earned in these courses will not be used to compute the student’s cumulative grade point average.

International transcripts will not be evaluated; you must contact a NACES approved evaluator for evaluation for foreign coursework, and have the official evaluation sent to Student Records. The evaluation must be a Catalog Match evaluation in order to be considered for transfer credit. Contact a counselor or advisor for a list of approved companies that provide Catalog Match services.

All documents and transcripts submitted to the College of Lake County become part of CLC’s permanent record. Copies of documents and transcripts will not be released to the student or third parties unless required by law.

The policies on this website are accurate as of the time of publication. Changes may be made from time to time and this site will be updated as expeditiously as possible. Students are responsible for abiding by all policies and deadlines published in the College Catalog and the Class Schedule.